A glorious thanksgiving.

It is important to meditate upon and remember the works of God, not only the works of God throughout history, but the daily workings of God in our lives. This is so important because it is really easy to forget how good God truly is. There is nothing like nearly losing a child to make you realize how precious a gift life is and how God's hand is really evident in our protection and safety on a daily basis.

It is a strange feeling to have your heart walking around on the outside of your body, but this is the experiance of motherhood. It is a horrifying feeling to look down and see that in a moment life swings in the balance for this small being that is part of your heart. It is almost indescribable the feeling of sensing your heavenly father in the room with you in this moment and knowing that he is holding you both, directing your paths, keeping you safe.

I could go into the trauma that I felt at nearly losing my son and try to describe to you what it is like to look down and see your 3 year old son next to you lying on the bed with an electrical extension cord glued in his mouth as his jaw was locked down on it uncontrablly by the shock. I can try to tell you what it was like to think that I could lose my baby. But really, I can't. All I can say is that I know the goodness of God firsthand. He protected my son and kept us safe in a situation that could have been deadly. I know it was God and his angels that kept my son that day. His grandmother had even said she had felt a special urging to pray for Joe and his safety earlier that morning. Thank you Jesus!

So, for all you details people, who want to know what actually happened, here you go. Joe was having reading time with me in my room. I told him it was time to nap and to turn out the light on his side of the bed. I was reading next to him. After a matter of seconds, I noticed that the light and not been turned out and there was silence. I looked down and saw Joe laying on the bed next to me with his eyes glued on to the ceiling. He had the end of a brown household extension cord, that was connected to an alarm clock cord and the lamp cord, in his mouth. I yelled at him to get it out of his mouth and then realized he couldn't.


I then tried to grab it and I could not get it out. I experianced a mild shock and realized that it was electicity and it was stuck in his mouth, I ran and unplugged the extension cord and Joe immidiately began screaming. I knew this was good, because he was not unconscous. I ran and called 911. Joe screamed for a long time, but showed no appearance of injury. Gradually a burn began to appear on the edge of his mouth and h
is face swelled up. (I've heard this is the way electrical burns go - nothing at first and then injury gradually gets worse until the full extent of the damage is reavealed.)

The firetrucks and all the amazing people that come when you call 911 arrived. They did an EKG and said he looked fine, but would need to go the the ER. When the EMT looked at the cord and saw what happened he said, "You have one lucky kid." I know it was more than luck.

When went to ER, long story short, 5 hours and $2400 (a whole nother story!) later - they said Joe was fine. Thank you Jesus!


So incase you still don't understand what happened, which many people don't at first, Joe was trying to unplug the lamp with his mouth. The end of the extension cord had 2 cords plugged into it. One of them was the lamp and that was hard to get out, it was also partially out so the metal was exposed, that is what met Joe's mouth and caused all the trouble.

Joe was amazing, he was a true hero. He amazed me. My arm felt weird fromt he shock, but he barely complained. I think I was the more traumatized of the two of us.












More testimony of God's goodness - They sent us to a plastic surgeon who said he would "need" surgery for sure. We have been praying everyday for the hole in Joe's mouth to heal and continue to do so. Right now it is looking so good! We don't have many pics, but here are some to give you an idea:







When you look at Joe's face you can barely see what happened. I wonder if Joe will even remember this major event. I know that I certainly will. Having my son nearly die while so close to me, in a room I thought was safe, was a major shocker. (no pun intended) I mean, the extension cord was under the bed and I didn't even remember it was there. It was just a room with a bed, pillows, lamps, tables. What could go wrong?
This event just branded it into my head that I have to trust the Lord with my children. I can't be with them at every moment of every day, and even if I could, I couldn't keep them safe from everything. Ultimately our times our in his hands. He is the one in whom I place my trust. If I try to do it any other way I will probably go crazy and maybe even take me whole family there with me :)

I am so thankful that the Lord has a special plan for Joe's life and that he kept him safe from peril that day. I am thankful that He is healing Joe's lip and the wounds of trauma in my heart. He is such a good God and I wanted to take a moment to remember that and to share it with all of you.




Comments

Swannee said…
Wow, Elizabeth. What a terrible nightmare--I'm so glad he's doing well and that there is evidence of God's mercy everywhere. It is so true that we are not in control, even when we try our hardest. What a relief to be able to entrust our kids to the one who loves them more than we ever could imagine.
MrsDandy said…
Praise God! I am so thankful Joe is okay. Having kids is a great reminder that we are not in control.

Popular Posts