Highlights of the Day

* Getting to have my husband go with me to our doctor's appointment and finding out that we have a healthy baby.

* Having coffee with a dear friend as our children threw game board pieces and bits of cinnamon roll around the coffee shop.

* Failing at my homemade Valentine craft project with the kids, but they ate them anyhow. They helped me deliver a few that didn't fail to friends. The boys are so cute passing out little Valentines.

* How excited the boys were about our Valentine's dinner. They almost pulled the table apart and knocked the dishes and candle holders over in their exuberance. After dinner Judah wanted to sing "Happy Birthday" so we improvised and joined in a round of "Happy Valentine's Day to You".

*When we went around the table saying things we loved about each other Judah had this to say about his father, "Because he forgives me." and about me, " Because she gives me candy" and about his brother, "Because he has a big gun."

*How sensitive my son, Joe, is. Today he wept because we had not made him a Valentine while he was at the neighbor's house. I told him he shouldn't cry, but rather ask for a Valentine, because we didn't know he wanted us to make him one while he was away. He proceeded to ask for a Valentine, made in specific detail. I made one for him later and he was quite satisfied.

*How ridiculous I am. I can see where Joe gets his sensitivity from. I have the very same desire for a special Valentine surprise every year. Instead of just accepting this reality and asking my husband to shower me in loving surprises, I stupidly pretend that I don't care. I should practice what I preach to my son Joe. Ask and you shall receive.

Silly as it may sound, I specifically told my husband that I didn't want anything, when he asked me what I wanted for Valentine's Day. The funny part is, I had even convinced myself that it was true. After all, I feel so happy and satisfied with my life and marriage. My husband spoils me almost daily, either with letting me sleep in, bringing me coffee, watching the kids so I can get a pedicure (okay so this one is more like annually), cleaning the house, ect, ect. I felt so spoiled that I didn't want to ask for anything more, especially something shallow like roses or chocolate. I mean, really, in comparison to non-judgemental love, caring for children, getting up each morning to provide for the family, years of fabulous companionship, what are a few measly flowers? I know this. I believe this. But I still want the flowers. Next year, I will humble myself. I will tell my husband when he asks. Perhaps I should prepare my speech now.

"Dear Amazing Husband,
I know you have awakened in the cold and dark early morning to go to work most every day, all year long. I know you have sacrificed by getting up in the night with crying children, praying for them, patting them, or changing their pee sheets. You have gone to countless flu-flu restaurants, girl movies, and walks in the park that you would have just assumed miss. You have rubbed my feet, my back, my aching shoulders. You have fed the dog, walked the dog, and kept me from killing him. You have tended to errant children who needed correction, leaving many a supper in the middle to teach your children that they must be thankful for their food, be it served on a glass or a froggie plate. You have watched our children so I could go out with the girls. Even more, you have watched my friend's children. You have changed diapers, sanctified scary-nasty parts of our house and returned them to normal, you have wiped snot noses. You have loved me when I have been ugly, rude or mean. You have never given up on me, but rather encouraged me and called me to higher purpose and bigger dreams. You have been the best friend I could ever want. And yet.
All of these things shall for one day be completely forgotten if you do not get me a card, flowers, chocolates, or all three. This may be a projection of the commercial society that we live in, but I have succumbed to it. All of the wonderful things you have given and done in the past have been rendered meaningless, the only way I shall know of your love is through a small pre-printed piece of paper, pile of petals, or mixture of cocoa and sugar. For one day, these are the things that will show your love and I must have them. Indeed, this does make me feel shallow to admit this, but in doing so, I am revealing my weakness and allowing you to love me anyhow. I guess this is the vulnerability of love. Love, Your Silly Wife
*
When I did finally share my disappointment with my husband, he sent me a message that went straight to my heart. Literally. My first response was, "Ow!" He shot a love note paper airplane into my chest. Did I forget to mention that he makes me laugh? What a guy!

Comments

Kendra said…
If that's what Judah says about Joe, I wonder what he'd say about uncle Caleb. :-)
Lauren said…
Hi Elizabeth,
I'm a friend of Kendra and Caleb's from Boston--just wanted to say I took a peek at your blog today and loved this post! Super cute!
Swannee said…
Hi Elizabeth--I'm catching up on your blog & just wanted to say that I can identify with you about convincing myself that I don't want a shallow gift when my husband is amazing every day...and how awesome it is to learn lessons from our children like you did from Joe. :) Love you! You are loved!

Popular Posts