And the Winner is.......

Let me begin by stating that the weigh in machines at the Y are bogus. Perhaps that sounds like the excuse of a poor loser, maybe it is.

Titus won our February Fat Loss Challenge- according to the questionable numbers of the machine at the Y. He didn't win by losing more fat though. He won by gaining less, apparently.

According to the suspect data- I lost 3.2 lbs and he lost 2.8. But it's when it starts to break down our body composition that I have my doubts. It said I gained .03% fat and Titus gained .02% fat. Since our challenge was not aimed at total weight loss, rather fat loss, he is the winner. Congratulations Titus- your beer drinking- ice cream filled protein shakes, and cutting out one of your hamburger buns off of your second burger, "attitude based diet" yielded you better slow fat gain than me. :)

I did lose 1.5 inches off of my thighs. Those of you who know me know how important this is to me (can you sense the sarcasm?) I have the legs of an underfed chicken. But now, they are even skinnier! Meanwhile extra inches of fluff stand firmly adhered to my midsection, apparently concerned that my internal organs stay well insulated during the cold winter months. I feel satisfied, knowing that should I get stranded in a snowstorm, my kidneys will be the last things to freeze.

During the last week of my diet I felt God told me to stop it. Like the children of Israel, I have a penchant for wholeheartedly throwing myself into rule-based systems and then failing miserably in the power of my own strength. When I found myself cranky and depressed, I realized that I was looking to the power of my own strength to achieve a result and I felt like God told me to lay it down.

If I would have continued and been successful it may have triggered some sort of weird relationship between me and food. I don't want to become a control freak about what I eat. I want to embrace life with gratitude, focusing more on relationships than I do on the contents of each bite. What's true for me is that my body is a gift, each breath I breathe, every scone I savor. Living an abundantly joy filled life is more important to me than having a certain size waist. My squishy midsection doesn't appear to be bothering anyone except myself, and I'm still in the process of deciding if it bothers me. Although I am leaning toward believing that there are a lot more important things to do than be troubled by my Pooh-like physique.

Even though I was disappointed by our results there are two pieces of good news. . 1, My husband got to display his generous nature; he has offered to give me a spa day even though all the lentils I ate failed to secure a victory. 2. We have gotten in the habit of working out 3 times a week, which was a goal of mine for 2017. Regardless of what the scale says, we are healthier for being active. I am stronger and can now do 11 real push-ups  (not the girl kind) up from 2. I can do a whole set of lunges without falling over. So I know gained muscle strength even if the body mass machine didn't show it.

In the end, small victories, like learning to be more active, be thoughtful in food preparation and have fun with your spouse make our February Challenge a win/win. I feel like we are all the winners here. (Spoken like a true loser). 

Comments

Popular Posts