"my house would be really beautiful if it wasn't for my children'

As I walked through the upstairs landing, I let out a sigh of exasperation. Yet again, everything was in a shambles. Books spilled out of the bookshelf, covering the floor, the plants were starting to wilt from lack of attention, and the quaint sitting nook I had envisioned remained devoid of anywhere to actually sit. "My house would be so beautiful", I thought, " if it wasn't for my children."

Our house was built in 1907 and oozes with charm. It is an answer to a prayer I hadn't even prayed and met every item on my list:
Beautiful front porch (with pillars)
South facing entrance to grow flowers
5 big bedrooms
Large Dining Room
Fireplace
Big Yard and family room for the kids to play.

This home has been a blessing, a gift from God. Yet, like many blessings, it came with work. When we first moved in, I think our son summed it up well. "Mom! I love everything about our house. The cracks in the walls - we pretend those are the places we've been hit when we play battleship!"

Our home, just like us, is full of untold potential, but in need of lots of TLC.

Our over sized bedroom has a stunning view of the city. It also has a sponge painting job done in a color of red that reminds me of what the inside of a  uterus might look like. It used to really bother me, but ever since my husband has started referring to it as our "womb", it just makes me laugh.

When we moved in, our back door had holes drilled into it to cover the window with plywood. The plywood has been replaced with a window, but the holes that were there have yet to be repainted. They are filled in with some kind of bright putty that makes it look like we wanted our back door to be white with red polka dots. We have camo patterned duct take holding together our walls in three places where they are starting to disintegrate. I have a bathroom floor that is curling up at the edges  so that it is not water tight when little boys pee on it.

I also have a one of a kind original fireplace in my living room. I have sweeping views of the city from my front porch. I have vintage wood floors (that need to be refinished) and window seats (yet uncushioned) and large wood trim that I adore. There is so much potential for this place I live to be a showstopper. But the children.

My husband is actually pretty handy at fixing things up, a fact you might miss if you gazed at our duct tape covered walls or spotted back door. The thing is, we have five children. And they are young. It's not really an ideal season of life for remodeling. We are pretty lucky if we can get through the dishes and laundry these days.


When that thought comes to tempt me now, "My house would be beautiful if it weren't for the children"  I am ready for it. Maybe, my house isnt beautiful in an Instagram, House Beautiful worthy way. But if you happen to be situated on the corner of real life and this moment in time, then my house is beautiful, and it's beautiful because of my children.

Comments

Popular Posts