Sneaky Villian!

  "Comparison is the thief of joy." a famous quote that I am often reminded of in motherhood. 

I know this, but oh it's a sneaky bugger. It all started so innocently. I wanted to remember how to tie my baby up in a newborn baby wearing wrap. I went to youtube for a video, to help me learn the proper folds to safely carry my baby next to my heart. Unsuspectingly, there it was lurking. There were these beautiful moms with clean houses, coifed hair and stunning makeup. They were making videos with their two-week-old babies, their slender bodies demonstrating how to perfectly enfold a baby in a wrap. 

I have a one-month-old today. I can barely make it out my bathrobe. My house is not ready to be a backdrop for a video - unless maybe it's a horror film. I have brushed my hair exactly once since I had the baby. Make up, are you kidding me? I can barely see through the slits of my exhausted eyes to see where I'm going, let alone to apply eye liner. 

As I began to compare myself to these wonder moms of youtube - Holy Spirit came in to help, my wiser self listened to the still small voice inside me that said - "You are enough. You are enough because you are His. You are the mother that I chose for your children. Not because you have nice hair and can fit in pre-pregnancy jeans, but because you are tenacious. You are brave, funny and kind. You are the one I gave those kids to, because I knew they needed you as their mother. Not to teach them how to look good or measure up to an external standard, but to know the grace and love of God and share that with a hurting world. "

It's not that you can't teach your kids to know God and show love if you have nice hair and fit into your jeans, it just so happens that those aren't the things that truly matter. 

I'm so easily led astray, and that is why I have to intentionally bridle my mouth and capture my thoughts and renew my mind so that I can be transformed. Not transformed into an impressive paragon of Motherhood ready to share her wisdom on youtube, but transformed into the next glorious version of myself in Christ, ready to do His will.  


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will

Romans 12:2

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:5

We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.

2 Corinthians 10:12

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can guide the whole animal. Consider ships as well. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot is inclined.

In the same way, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it boasts of great things. Consider how small a spark sets a great forest ablaze.

James 3:3-5

Comments

Popular Posts