Fun with compost

Today I made sure to turn the composter 12 times. I don't know why 12 but I decided that a good solid dozen would be an appropriate daily goal. Obviously my life is not too overwhelming, since I can make random goals like this for myself. You know, truly important stuff. The problem is that Titus has made a mockery of my attempts to compost. Oh sure, the books make it sound so easy. Just throw your stuff in a pile, mix is a bit, and voila, you have the stuff of legend, "black gold", so they say.

Well, my first attempts resulted in clods of golf ball size that were roughly as hard as titanium. I saw no way they were going to enrich my garden soil. They were something akin to rocks. While slightly crestfallen, I continued on, in spite of my husband's smug glances. He had warned me that compost would stink, but I argued. The book I had, clearly stated that compost would not stink if you turned it enough. I figure 12 times a day should be enough, but no luck.

Also, the book said that it should take no about 2 weeks, with constant attention, to get some fine compost. My first batch took about 2 years. Apparently I wasn't giving it the right kind of attention.

So, I figured I needed some help! I heard that earthworms can make great compost, just by doing what they do best, eating and pooping. So I called the kids. They all did a great earthworm hunt and we threw the worms into my composter. There was a slight problem, due to the constant watering (recommended by "the book") I think all the worms drowned. So now, not only does my compost smell like rotten food, eggshells and coffee grinds, but it also has the added stench of decaying worm flesh.

On the bright side, our dog (A.K.A. Sewer Mouth) thinks of the compost bin as a tasty treat. Whenever the reeking brown waste leaks out one of the holes while it's tumbling, Gus anxiously licks up every wreched morsel. And that, my friends, is just one small, happy tidbit of my ordinary life.

Comments

Popular Posts