Call me crazy


I love Bloomsday, just love it. Something about being a part of a giant human amoeba collectively moving through the streets of spokane together, something about doing something you never thought you could, something about it all makes me tremendously happy.

So many people, I just had to laugh. Someone elbows me, oops. I elbow someone else, oops. There goes a fast one, pushing past us all. There's one who lost their strength and had to stop, try not to trip on them. And then there is Elvis. And the gorilla. Actually I think I saw two this year. A man who can run faster than me where an entire florescent green body suit, somehow even covering his head. Titus was put to shame by all the old ladies who beat him. He was getting ill ( we had a stomach buy try to hit our house last night, Joe threw up, we were queazy, bad timing for sure) and didn't know how he could continue and then he saw the pack of old men wearing the "We've run them all" shirts and pushed himself onward.

I find it inspiring to be out in the community. We have a good community in Spokane. I like it. There were people running for causes. Titus sported his Nancy McLaughlin tee and I had my bright orange "Run to save their lives" shirt from World relief. I saw a lot of ladies sporting pink and racing for someone they loved who had cancer. My favorite shirt was on a lady wearing a hot pink tutu. It said, "Because I can" I love that. So true. To be out there, healthy, strong enough to run is such a gift. So many people would give anything for that chance.

I guess for me running is suffering. But it is controlled suffering. So much of life is pain that we cannot control, suffering that we can't choose to ignore. Takling a project, like running 7.4 miles, sort of gives you the chance to conquer pain. It's a chance to overcome. That and beat your husband at something besides scrabble . Haha ;)

Comments

Popular Posts