Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I love to think about the story of the man who wrote, "It is Well with my Soul". He was in a very tough spot in life, yet in that time he chose to focus on his maker, and ended up writing a song that would impact generations.

When I looked over at my pile of boxes this morning all I could think is "It is well with my soul." God has given me such peace in trusting in Him during this time of unknown transition. Probably due to all the prayers (thanks mom) of wonderful people who have been praying for us.

It was sort of weird, my husband actually started freaking out a little bit last night. ( I should add a disclaimer, for him, freaking out is being mildly concerned and asking disturbing questions) He was saying, "Where will I run my business from if the house doesn't close?" "What if they won't extend our loan or want us to pay the extra $6000 in closing costs, where will we live?" In uncharacteristic calm I was able to assure him that God will provide, he ALWAYS has.

I then realized we have a few things going on that make being houseless, if not homeless, difficult. There are the three children, the fact that I am eight months pregnant and that we run two businesses out of our home, one of which requires lots of space for tools and vehicles. All those things would make it a bit of a challenge to not have a steady base for operations.

The current status on our loan is unknown. Like Titus says, we are between a giant bank on one side and the government on the other (Rock and Hard Place). We can't talk to the people making the decisions at the giant bank (these are the underwriters shrouded in mystery and apparently unable to make any decisions in less than a week to 10 days.) and we are dealing with Fannie Mae on the selling side, who seems to be ridiculous about getting a deal through if it's not on their timeline. Here we are in the middle, waiting.

The good news is in characteristic David and Goliath epicness, we have God on our side. Not that he is against the bank or the government. It's just that He's FOR me. And if God is for me who can be against me? Titus and I were not originally looking to move anytime soon, we really felt the hand of the Lord leading us. We are not going to stop believing him now. We are packing and moving into the garage tomorrow so we can get our house ready for our new renter arriving on May 1st. We don't know where we are moving our stuff to, but it will be getting moved out somewhere on Tuesday.

The fact that Fannie Mae is threatening to throw away the whole deal if we don't close by Tuesday could be alarming, since we don't have an underwritten loan yet. But I am not alarmed. Like I told a friend, we are stepping out in faith where we feel we have been called. What gives me peace is that I know my God. He is so good, so caring, so loving. Even if we messed up and misunderstood God's will and everything doesn't work out like we planned He will use this situation for our good. He's just that good that his goodness follows us wherever we go, whether that's to a big new house on the hill, or to a friends couch or the back of the RV.

So if my flesh starts acting up and asking too many questions, I just remember who holds my life in his hands. If I focus on Jesus, no matter where I live, it will be well with my soul.

Comments

Popular Posts