Introducing Violet Libby Hug

Born May 28th 2013
7 lbs 13 oz
20 inches long

My beloved princess shares my birthday month and she and I are going to be pretty good buds, I can already tell.

I heard a preacher talking about his granddaughter "Violet" last summer and knew then that our next child should have that name. This was before we were even pregnant with her. Violet means simply "purple flower". Purple is my favorite color and flowers are one of my favorite things. This little girl is something special to me. Violet is also a family name on my mother's side. I didn't find out until after we revealed her name how very special that Violet was in our family history. She was my mom's aunt and was always very good to her nieces and nephews. She was not only the one who introduced my grandma and grandpa to each other, she was also responsible for introducing them to Christ. Without her none of us would be here, or would have had the privilege to grow up knowing the radical love and saving grace of our savior. That's a pretty special namesake indeed.


When Titus prayed about what to name our little girl, he felt God spoke to him that Violet would have his heart. So Titus looked up a name that meant "My heart". He found the name Libi, which means exactly that in Hebrew. We decided to pronounce it "Libby". Since we were going to say it like that, Titus wanted to spell it like that. Well that worked out well for me. Secretly I had been wanting this baby girl to have a name that meant "God's Promise" because that's what she is - a special answer to God's promise to us that we would have a daughter after our first baby girl went to heaven too soon. Well, when I looked up that meaning I discovered that is another meaning for Elizabeth (which I had always thought to mean "Consecrated to God" or "Oath of God" - but I guess that's just another way of saying the same thing :) )  Libby is derived from the name Elizabeth, just like the name Isabelle. These names, these connections, all just point us back to God's promise and his love and faithfulness.
Violet Libby - My little purple flower, the fulfillment of God's promise.

Comments

Popular Posts