Reflections

I have such an important job. People would die without me. It's true. I save people from death. I keep them from stabbing themselves with knives. I keep them from being beaten to death with giant crayons, bbq spatulas, and shovels. I provide life giving nutrition (okay so maybe occasionally in the form of boxed dinners). I administer coverings to save from hypothermia and I prevent drownings in bathtubs, toilets, and water-filled plastic turtles.

I am also very powerful. I have healing powers. People run to me in their hour of crisis with arms in the air. They come to me weeping, with tragedies that have befallen them. In an instant, with a kiss, a caress and a tender word, they are instantly restored and ready to resume thier daily activities. No matter that a popcicle or a cartoon would have the same effect. No matter that there are only two of these people, and they are small. Allow me one small moment to feel special.

There are many seemingly hellish moments of motherhood. But ultimately it is beyond expression, how truly amazing it is to be able to make people. I fail, and I fail miserably. But the wonder of it all is that my children love me and I love them. We are blessed because we have one another in our lives. What more can I say. God is good.

Comments

Swannee said…
You are such an incredible writer! Thank you for making me laugh and reminding me of the blessing of motherhood!

Popular Posts