Slogging


Yesterday was my birthday and Titus and I had a lovely time eating dinner at Clinkerdagger's and walking around in Riverfront Park. This was our best attempt capture our time on my Iphone. Yay to Al and Jesse who volenteered to keep the kidlets so we could have a date night!

I was recently reviewing the concept of "highest and best use" while getting in some real estate clock hours. I was trying to decide if sitting here writing a blog would qualify as the highest and best use of my time. Probably not. I could be cleaning. I could be bonding with my children by reading to them or playing with them in the yard. Alternitively, I could also be laying in a pile on the floor weeping or yelling at my children because I am trying to play with them but getting frusterated, or I could become so child focused that my life loses meaning and I fall into a deep depression. So I decided, writing this blog falls somewhere in the middle.


I was thinking of a word this morning that so perfectly fit how I felt: Slog.

Not to be confused with "slug". Some of these days lately make me think that motherhood is "slogging".

Upon checking with the dictionary I found 4.5.6 and 7. to be especially insightful.

 /slÉ’g/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [slog]
–verb (used with object)
1.
to hit hard, as in boxing or cricket; slug.
2.
to drive with blows.
–verb (used without object)
3.
to deal heavy blows.
4.
to walk or plod heavily.
5.
to toil.
–noun
6.
a long, tiring walk or march.
7.
long, laborious work.
8.
a heavy blow

Sometimes being a mom feels like long, laborious work and you just have to keep marching onward. That's okay though. That is why we are exhorted to, "not grow weary in well doing". It's easy to get tired. The truth is that the hope we have in Christ is so glorious that our light and momentary trials are not even worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Hallelu - yer! (If you know who Madea is ;) )

So - all you fellow sloggers - keep up the good work! I know we can do it.

Comments

Kaitlin said…
slogging is a nice word - very useful.

Popular Posts