Is there a genius in the house?

Do you find yourself in a conversation with your spouse, where all of a sudden they say something and you stop in awe wondering how you found yourself such a genius to be married to? Perhaps not, maybe you are the genius in your relationship. But my husband gets these stokes of brilliance on many occasions and says something that just rocks my world - messes me up in a good way.

The other day was one such occasion. We were talking about what a blessing children are and how our culture does not truly value that blessing. Many people without children may not even know what an amazing blessing they are missing out on. I made some joke about how sad Titus would be without children how he would probably spend all his time weeping if he didn't have kids. His response took me back. "No I wouldn't. I would still be happy. Either way I would be happy because God is just that good that he would have radically blessed my life even if I had no children."

Well, that got me to thinking. So many people are waiting for something to make them happy. I feel very happy, but I also have a lot of things that I have always wanted: a husband, children, a house with white pillars and a porch swing, enough money to buy scones whenever I want. But here was my husband, implying that those things are not the source of my happiness. Even if they were all gone I could still be happy. I would still be loved by the God of the universe and He would make sure I was blessed. Wow!

It's a good reminder. If my happiness comes from having little people around the house who I can squish at my discretion, then my happiness can easily leave when they inevitably grow into large people who aren't so good for squishing. But if my happiness comes from knowing that I am a radically loved daughter of God, I can be happy no matter what. Even if I have to get a stupid cat to squish. (and from everything I've heard cats don't like to be squished, so lets hope it doesn't come to that)  


Comments

Popular Posts