Joe's 1st Day

(Please forgive errors I am temporarily reduced to one hand)
 
Joe was not supposed to go to school. But God and I like to make each other laugh.
It reminds me of when I was 16 years old. I met a lovely girl, a pastor's daughter somewhere down south. She was 17 and engaged to be married. 'How nice." I said. "How ridiculous!" I thought. Then one year later it was me to whom people were saying, "How nice." and thinking "how ridiculous!" Yes my hubby showed up young and I was engaged before my 18th birthday.
So a few years later the story remains similar in it's unpredictable turn. Me, an adamant homeschooler - sending my son to *GASP* public school.
The reason is simple. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. I sensed God said "Go". End of story.
But here's the thing. I have heard people talking about going into public schools as a light in a dark place and said, "how nice." but thought, "how ridiculous!". After all they are vulnerable, just kids.
But after God had been working gently on my heart for months I sat in a meeting where my heart was stirred beyond what I could ignore. Bill Hybels taught a sermon, "The Local Church is the Hope of the World" It moved me deeply. The answers the world is looking for are not going to come from business, schools or the government. They are only found in Jesus Christ son of God. And his plan has always been to use his people, his body, to change the world. 
So here we are. It's time to laugh.
 
Ps 139
7Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?

8If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths,a you are there.

9If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10even there your hand will guide me,

your right hand will hold me fast.

11If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me

and the light become night around me,”

12even the darkness will not be dark to you;

the night will shine like the day,

for darkness is as light to you.
 
 
*
 Joe: "Mom I'm not going to wear my hood today. Know why?" No. "Because I'm gonna have a hair style."
He was pretty psyched about his lunch box. He refused my chocolate chip granola bar saying, "I'm gonna have the healthiest lunch at school!" He packed it himself - turkey sandwich, cucumber slices, water ( because its the healthiest drink) and grapes. I snuck in an organic Greek yogurt and love note, hope that meets with his approval.

 
*
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts