Love and Dandelions

Children are great for bringing about humbling experiences. I got my first bouquet of dandelions from Joe. I feel like this was another milestone in motherhood. If all goes well, it is just the beginning of many such such flower bouquets. I have joined the countless moms, who for generations, have proudly displayed Tupperware cups filled with weeds on their windowsills.
My other humbling moment was during our devotion/muffin eating time this morning. I picked our scripture of the week based on the gestures I could add, I hadn't spent much time thinking about explaining it to a 4 year old. "Knowledge puffs up but love builds up." 1 Cor 8:1b
Describing "Knowledge puffs up" was not easy. I brought balloon analogies, muffin sharing, and the concept of equality into the mix. It was not pretty. Then I got to love. I had to start explaining love. Gulp. I felt something, I think it was the Holy Spirit, conviction maybe. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. Love believes all things. It perseveres. Wow. Maybe mom and the 4 and 2 year old all need the same lesson here. Okay, so I haven't stolen any one's truck for years, and I make it a practice not to hit people as a way to express my displeasure. But patience, kindness, believing when it would be so much easier to give up. Rejoicing in the truth. I have a way to go.
Thank you Jesus. Thank you for meeting us where we are, even if that is a kitchen stained with dog paws and decorated with dandelions in a blue plastic mug.

Comments

Popular Posts