If Holidays are supposed to be happy - 30 Days #8

If holidays are supposed to be happy why is there so much crying? I blame Martha Stewart.

There I was in the kitchen, making a cake and shame descended upon me as I dumped the contents of a box mix into a bowl. Martha Stewart would not use a mix. 
 
Why this bothered me, is a mystery. Apparently I was trying to impress someone but I'm not entirely sure who.

 I also wanted an adorable family picture. Why I thought that the one Sunday a year I would cook a giant meal from scratch and get to church early, would be the perfect day for a family photo I do not know. Everyone else was doing it.

I have a problem with holidays and expectations. I envision every one should be Norman Rockwell inspired, Martha Stewart elegant, and Pinterest worthy creative. These things are not possible for a normal person, let alone me, mother of four young children who doesn't like to plan.

Finally it came down to a napping husband, a missing baby, and a shortage of aluminum foil. You cannot make a Easter ham without aluminum foil. It can't be done. I almost canceled Easter. 

I lost it -  and not just the baby (who was subsequently revealed after I needlessly broke down the bathroom door and found her eating a soap dispenser) There were tears shed and bad attitudes flying around the house, on this, the day of the celebration of our Lord's love and victory.
Trying to function without foil is a deep trial to the soul.

My husband made mention that I was trying to do too much - I thought I was scaling back! But I realized he was right. Would Jesus be any less glorified if, God forbid, a costco pizza replaced the Easter ham and scalloped potatoes at our Easter celebration? That is a deep question I have not been able to answer.

What I do know is what God told me. As I was scrambling to figure out what to wear,  in a closet full of ill fitting clothes, he whispered to my heart, "the most beautiful thing you can wear is a smile inspired by a grateful heart." So true. It always fits, maternity weight or no. 

I challenge myself and all of us women in the trenches: what will your family remember about Holidays spent with their family? Love and
 happiness from parents filled with contentment and joy of being together or stress and anxiety from a mom trying to live up to some perfect expectation?

From our messy, mismatched, smeary faced family to yours, Happy Easter! Christ is risen! We are seated in heavenly places with him (even if our house doesn't look like it). 


Comments

Popular Posts