Poor and Needy

"But I am poor and needy; hasten to me O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!" Ps 70:5

Here King David, who I believe is endowed with royal wealth and splendor cries out, "I am poor and needy!"

Today I was driving down the road and felt cold. I reached down and flipped a switch and Bam!, warm air descended upon me. So there I was, a person traveling down the road riding in a temperature controlled, weather protected, self- propelled (if only it was self cleaning ;) vehicle, all the while listening to a song recorded elsewhere, available on demand for my listening pleasure.  In addition, I was on my way to eat food that I did not have to grow, harvest, or prepare. Talk about plush.

The fact that we are so wealthy as a nation might make one think we would be happy. We might not suffer from sadness or depression. Yet we do.

When I read this Psalm this morning it made sense to me. Here was a king, declaring poverty in the midst of his riches. 

Having an abundance of material goods can still leave us feeling poor and helpless. That is why Jesus declared himself the bread of life - the living water. He is a source the does not leave us empty . 

Stuff is great. I like it and I'm pretty sure God doesn't have a problem with it. But stuff is temporal. It's not gonna be here forever. The things that last, faith, hope and love - those are the things to make us rich.

If you feel, like King David, that you are poor and needy, do what he did. Call out to The Lord  for help and deliverance. He is the well that never runs dry. When you are with him, your tab is covered, and there is no such thing as not enough.

In fact he offers more than enough. More than enough grace, more than enough forgiveness, more than enough joy, strength, peace, provision, protection, the list goes on. When it comes to resources, no one can beat God. If you are in need of anything today - he's your source. 

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy, wine and milk, without money and without cost." Is 55:1

Comments

Popular Posts