A day for the history books.

What one word describes a playhouse built for a contractor's son ? overkill. Or maybe delightful. At least delight is what I saw in my son's eyes today as he helped his father build his, "dream house". Joe's words, not mine. I didn't even know that he knew what a dream house was until tonight. I guess you know it when you see it.

Somedays, I just feel like God is smiling on me. Today was one of those days. I woke up early to a sunny sky, got to snuggle with my husband, went on a family walk out to breakfast. Then my husband spend the entire day with the kids building this edifice:
Meanwhile, I got to drive around and do solo shopping and garage saling while soaking up sunrays. I felt like I was 16 again, exploring newfound independence in my car, with the windows rolled down listing to whatever I wanted on the radio. (okay - slight exageration since I didn't get my license until a few months shy of my 18th birthday. but it doesn't have the same effect to say that I felt like I was 17 and 3/4 again.)
Then as I came home and watched my husband and children in the backyard, I knew I was witnessing a little part of Hug Family History. This was a very special moment, cementing in the bedrock of our family togetherness. I could just tell. Daddy was building something with his sons.
As you can see they were very willing helpers:












Plus, my blessing from God was again revisited as I watched daddy and his boys outside. My tough and strong husband would turn into tender father as he bent to pick up and kiss an injured boy. It was very sweet. Also frequent. As is the case whenever you mix boys, tools, wood, pointy metal objects of various sorts and energy bursting forth from freshly consumed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, injuries are an inevitable part of the mix.

But the boys seem to be willing to risk injury in pursuit of the glory. As Joe informed me today many times, "I'm a working man". Apparently this is a lofty position. When I asked Joe to help me clean up wood scraps, he replied, " I can't. I'm a working man." I guess he is following his father's example and training for management





The balcony and the metal roof really set off the whole, "bavarian alpine/ ski chalet theme"

So, when the house was nearly completed, Joe informed us that he would need a garage. Go figure. We should have known that one doesn't have a dream house without a garage. Joe will have to take that one up with his contractor, as he may not have room for it in the budget.




Even though the house is a bit on the rustic side, it does appear to be suitable for girls. At least Eleanor approved:



Isn't there some saying about a man and his castle? : Rare and precious moments pass us by so frequently in the rush of life. These times are something truly special. These little people we have been given to watch over are truly marvelous. Thank you God for this precious gift, we do not take it lightly.
P.S. Just in case any of you dear readers don't know me well and think that I may have some sort of perfect life, I have a confession to make for the sake of editorial honesty. My bathroom smells like a barn, (courtesy of my lovable 3 year old boy who lacks aim), my walls look like they have been the work of Picaso, I yelled at my beautiful and tender children today, I have not dusted my blinds since they were installed, I don't know what is in half the boxes in my basement, I am struggling to embrace grace and forgiveness, and I puked up last's nights dinner in the middle of the night.














Comments

Kendra said…
What a cute house! Can have Titus build me my dream house?...although I think I might need a bigger door. :-D
What a fun day!
Your boys are so cute.
Kaitlin said…
Sam was gasping and oohing and aahing over Joe's "new home" and can't wait to come play. :)
Nicole said…
That is an awesome playhouse! I am always amazed at the skills of others (that neither my huband or I possess). Wow, Wow, Wow!

And I love that you posted confessions on the bottom...so relatable in deed! Such great perspective though Elizabeth...thanks!
Swannee said…
I love you, Elizabeth!

What a house! And happy boys!

(my boys have those same tool belts/suspenders--but I don't think they appreciate them as much as yours)

Popular Posts