A thrill

"'When I hit on a name that suits exactly it gives me a thrill. Do things ever give you a thrill?'

Matthew ruminated. 'Well now, yes. It always kind of gives me a thrill to see them ugly white grubs that spade up in the cucumber beds." Anne of Green Gables

*

The other day I noticed this happy feeling inside me when I looked down at the dishwasher and noticed that all the utensils were divided into their own section. There were knifes sticking out all together, spoons neatly nestled amongst themselves, and forks all in a separate compartment. In this one place in my house there was order! I had this almost giddy feeling, which I finally realized was, you guessed it, a thrill.

Let me share a few other cheap thrills. When I got out the vacuum I thought it might be time to change the vacuum bag. I felt that familiar rush of joy, yes, another thrill. Why is changing the vacuum bag thrilling, you ask? Well, because there is so little concrete proof that I actually clean my house. To look at it you would never know, the little people who travel behind me make sure of that. But when I empty out this nasty bag of dirt and dust I can take satisfaction knowing that if it wasn't for me, it's contents would be all over our floors.

Final thrill of the day - when your children remember something you told them. I told Joe the other day that we needed to get him new pants because his jeans all had holes in the knees. This didn't bother me, but his grandma could barely stand it because to her it seemed like a sign that we couldn't afford to buy our children proper clothing. This would signal all people everywhere we went that these poor dear boys were neglected and underprivileged. So I bought Joe two pairs of jeans and told him to put them on when we were going to see grandma. Today he was wearing his holey "work" jeans outside where he was working on his "ranch". When I told him we were going to grandma and grandpa's house he said, "I gotta change first!" This time he was working and brought his tools so I told him it would be okay to wear his work jeans :) It's so great to have a boy who loves to work!


"Do things ever give you a thrill?"
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts