HTAD - 2012

There is one subject above all others that I would prefer never to think or talk about. It is children being used for sex, sold into slavery. It makes my stomach churn. It makes me ill. It makes me want to fall to the floor weeping and at the same time thanking God that it is a subject that seems so far removed from my reality. But is it really?

I was told yesterday that Spokane is a hub for human trafficking, the average age of the victims being 12. These children are either sold, or acquired from other countries through adoptions and brought here to be distributed in the US and Canada. This is what I was told. I haven't researched the subject yet to verify that, but I plan to.

Just that fact that that is even possible blows my mind. Could there be a 12 year old girl flying into my airport, being driven over my city streets, passing through my city while held in bondage? That seems crazy. My city streets are for good things like Bloomsday, Hoopfest,  Martin Luther King day freedom marches,  people driving to and fro to work and school. How could this atrocity happen here?

Today is Human Trafficing Awareness Day and I just wanted to take a moment to share with you my feelings. Nausea really. That is what I feel in the pit of my stomach. People are being exploited and sold in our county. Something must be done.

When standing in the face of any giant that seems insurmountable, I remember David. His trust in God, his unshakable belief that God would back him up when he when out to slay the giant,  is inspiring.  When standing before giants in our country, like human trafficking and abortion, I am overwhelmed with conviction. Is our God who he says he is or not?  He came to free the captives and he is mighty to save; and he's called us to join him.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burk

Signing off, sick to my stomach and praying for end to slavery in our nation and around the world.




Comments

Swannee said…
Love you, Elizabeth, and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I, too, am overwhelmed when presented with the facts about human trafficking, the 26,000 people who die of preventable causes each day, and other evils that here & now. God, help us to hear, and help us to obey you. I truly believe that if each of us, as God's hands & feet, were to live outrageously & live in obedience, that hunger, human trafficking, and the other things that break the heart of God could easily be overcome. He is so powerful, and works through us.

Popular Posts