Don't expect perfection.

I have a goal to write every day in October. It feels lofty now.

Today is busy, over scheduled with things to do. But I have 10 minutes.

I thought I would write a quick note about our newest adventure into nerdiness. Titus and I decided to join Toastmasters. We have thought about it for years and the stars finally aligned so that we could make it happen.

It's fun to meet new people, practice our public speaking and get a few laughs, but the thing I enjoy most about it is the break from my children. It is a carved out hour of time each where I don't have to care for anyone else. I get to do something for me. It feels surprisingly exhilarating.

It's funny how you can talk incessantly through out almost every day of your entire life and then suddenly be thrust in front of a group of 12 strangers and feel like the words have disappeared. They have left the room like a rug pulled out from underneath of you. 

Last night I won our table topic by giving "a day in the life of the family dog" speach and using our word of the day, gregarious. I hope to become more gregarious as I learn how to collect my thoughts and get them out while standing in front of a group of people. It's always good to try something new.

Comments

Popular Posts