He's in the mess

Screams echoed through the vacant halls of the building, a trail of mixed nuts littered the floor and straws were flying through the air. This is not the organized, peaceful set-up I had envisioned for our marriage meeting.  Exasperated (and sporting a bad attitude) I soldiered on, setting up my cups, trays of banana bread and coffee cups. The kids were finally stowed in front of a movie screen.

After the meeting, in my efforts to clean up, my children were again running wildly, in and out of the front door, which opened to the busy street. Requests for leftover cupcakes pelted me like a a heard of runaway boomerangs. My husband looked at me in my flustered state and forcefully declared "Our kids are doing great."

I wanted to hit him. Did he not witness the circus that was happening?

But then he reminded me that perfection is not the standard. Darn it. He was right again.

If we are able to bless anyone it will be through Christ in us, the hope of glory. People will have to get blessed in the midst of the mess.

I take comfort, remembering that my King came into a barnyard. Born in a stable, He came into a messy world, choosing to come for us in the midst of our mess. And He is still doing the same thing today..

Comments

Popular Posts