Rules for packing and other random thoughts

Isn't everyone entitled to one hideous brown sweater that they adore? I got this sweater yesterday at Old Navy. Somehow I know it's ugly and it fits just a little bit awkward (thanks Meghan for teaching me how to spell that word). Okay, really it's a touch too small, but a girl's gotta have dreams right? So, I think I've decided to keep it anyway. I'm wearing it around the house and feeling so happy.

The most important thing to remember when packing for a Christmas vacation is efficiency. I find the most efficient time to do a fashion show featuring your entire wardrobe is right when you are trying to pack for your trip. Then you can reexamine how your post-baby body looks in all your old clothes, knowing it sounds stupid but wondering if the clothes really did shrink in the closet due to the dry air. If you are lucky enought to have a four year old on hand, the best part of the fashion show is when you find an outfit they will declare is "really cute" and you "should keep that one on". In my case this was black tights with a mysteriously colored gold ruffled skirt, a bright green shirt and the previously mentioned, ill fitting, long, brown striped sweater. I was in between outfits when Joe discovered that I had landed on a fabulous fashion combination.
I would have missed it's perfection. That is why it is always good to keep a four year old on standby for all fashion shows.

Also, in preparing for a trip it is important to eat a healthy breakfast to give you good energy for the task at hand. I chose a pecan roll and coffee. Nothing like empty carbs, sugar, and caffeine to show your body you love it.

Sometimes you are just too excited to do anything the way you should. I'm so thrilled to go see our family and get to spend 5 days together just having fun. I'm excited to try snowboarding/skiing (yet to be decided), to stay up way too late every night drinking eggnog and to eat a goat whose demise Titus has been planning for days now. It's all so thrilling that I can hardly make myself go upstairs and count out diapers and ration pajamas into suitcases.

In cases like these, I find it is helpful to do other things, like write on your blog. That way you can heighten the excitement of your upcoming journey. Then instead of having everyone ready to go when your husband comes home there can be mass mayhem instead. Instead of neatly packed bags, a tidy house, and happy children there can be panic stricken screaming, things flying through the air, much unnecessary huffing and just general chaos. This is how we've always done it in the past. But come to think of it, maybe it's time for a change. Perhaps I'll just do my unnecessary huffing now and go get to work.

Comments

Popular Posts