This December Day

In the midst of this busy day I wanted to take a moment to record the momentousness of this everyday occasion. Today is Joe's 4th birthday. Birthdays happen everyday. But today is special in our little Hug world.

I am very thankful that Joe is alive, given the scary encounter he had with electricity in May of this year. Thanks to his ever vigilant guardian angels we are here celebrating another year of his life, without them, I fear this would not be the case.

Having children is nothing short of miraculous. They are just so much fun. Think you enjoyed Christmas before? Wait till you get to experience it all over again through the eyes of your children. It is even more wonderful the second time around.

Today Joe asked if he should remove his new birthday gun from the dining room table before we ate, although he spoke it more as a thoughtful suggestion. I told him yes, thinking that it would be a good idea to keep weaponry and dining separate in our lives. Then realizing how thoughtful it was of him to mention such a thing, I said, "Joe, how did you get to be so sweet."
He replied, "Jesus made me that way." Can't argue with that.

*
I love it when I ask Joe where Judah is but Joe doesn't know. Then Judah will appear out of nowhere into plain sight. Joe will then exclaim excitedly, "Mom I found Judah! There he is! There he is!", even though he is obviously visible to both of us.

*
It is true that boys can play indoors quietly at such activities as coloring and book reading. I have discovered this. All it took is and hour and a half of running around in the frosty outdoors to expend their energy first. Then they sat still without arguing for at least 5 minutes.

*
"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"

I love that. Nothing adds enjoyment to the day like noticing that you are trying to bake a birthday cake with the oven off, or realizing that you went outside to string the Christmas lights wearing the oven mitts instead of your leather gloves.

*
Do you ever have a moment where you sit back and wonder if life could get any better? I certainly hope so. I had a moment like that when mixing my son's birthday cake, listening to Christmas music, surrounded by family. Life is so good. It is good to take a moment to remember that no matter is going on in the world, God has been good to us. If you are reading this blog you are blessed enough to have access to the world wide web, a wonder in itself. Here's wishing you lots of wonder-filled moments this holiday season!

Comments

Popular Posts