Sunday school

Don't laugh. Okay, you can laugh. I am frightened of preschoolers.

I am having palpitations and last night I was up tossing and I turning. All of this anxiety is brought on by my first time "teaching" preschool at church. I know what you are thinking, "For heaven sake, Elizabeth, they are only 3. What are you so afraid of?" I don't know. But I am.

I guess I worry that the whole thing may get away from me and children will be found running wildly around the building during a quiet moment of prayer in the main sanctuary. I worry that perhaps I will forget to do the fishing illustration correctly and thus forever taint these wee one's theology. Perhaps I will freeze up while trying to talk with the puppet. (who has puppeteering experience anyway!)

It is funny actually, I am really scared. When I was first approached about assisting with childcare, I was more than happy to do so. I figured I would get assigned to babies or toddlers. (Not too much danger of imparting bad theology at that age). But no, the woman recruiting me insisted that I would be a really good preschool "teacher". (This meant there were a vast shortage of people who wanted to take on this responsibility.) So, I had no choice. Now I am in charge. I am determined that everyone should live through this experience. I figure this will be a good testing ground to see if I can have a preschool co-op in my home.

Anyhow, I better go. I just thought how good God is, when he made our scripture of the week, "You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength." Yes, with the strength of Christ, even I can teach three year olds.

Here I go!

Comments

Popular Posts