How to have a Smarter Kid

This is one of the books I read early on in my homeschooling journey (before I had a kindergartner, in fact). It really helped me to ground my educational philosophies. 

The thing I gained most from this book was the knowledge that the number one inhibitor of learning is fear. Kids are wired to learn. They come out curious. They are like little sponges of the universe. They are inquisitive and they want to know. The biggest thing we can do for them as parents is to not get in the way of that God given desire to learn.

If children are not at peace in their home life it stunts their ability to learn. The best thing we can do for them is to provide a stable, loving, warm environment to nurture their spirits. Knowing this has often helped me to refocus on what is important. If I am so intent on shoving knowledge into their little heads that I become angry of anxious, I am actually hindering the very learning I am hoping to accomplish.

This book is full of interesting, research based findings that shed light on how children learn best. I highly recommended it to anyone who wants to raise a smarter kid (and become a more relaxed parent, too).

Comments

Popular Posts