Mom

I wish everyone could have a mom like mine.  She made a lot of mistakes in her mothering, but did (and still does) one thing so well  that it has more than compensated for any imperfections. I could go on and on about how wonderful my mom is, she is loving, generous and encouraging. But there is one thing above all that has made the difference in her mothering. She has always had her heart set on Jesus and been a woman of prayer.

I was homeschooled in co-operation with a private school grades 1-5 and then independently from 6th grade on. My mom was not a typical homeschooling mom. I don't know if she ever read a book about homeschooling. She didn't go to groups for homeschooling moms (if there even were any back in those ancient times). She did not do one single science or art project with me. In fact. I can't remember her taking me to the library. She used to tell people I was homeschooled and then say, only partially joking, that I was self-taught.

The thing that was great about my mom's method of homeschooling is that it set me up for success as a homeschooling mom. She set the bar pretty low, academically speaking.  She didn't labor over curriculum choices, shes didn't get bogged down in preparation for state testing, she didn't constantly stress over not doing enough. She prayed and she trusted God. But you know what? I turned out ok.(I would say that I turned out pretty freaking awesome, but I am working on growing in humility.) Homeschooling has prepared me for life in ways traditional school never could have.

I don't want to misrepresent my growing up years, they were extraordinary. I got to witness my parents, who were fueled by their passionate pursuit of God, live exceptional lives. We traveled through almost every state and state capital in an RV. I spent time surrounded by thoughtful adults who engaged in deep conversation. I got to walk country roads in many states praying for an end to abortion. I was able to visit and speak in a myriad of churches all across this great land. All of these experiences were much richer than anything that could have been found in a text book. I realize that I was given a gift to grow up as I did. For that I will always be extremely grateful.

The things my mom did right, when it came to my home education, are a great encouragement to me. She prayed, she trusted Jesus and she always made me feel like I was loved, smart and good enough. Whatever else I do in homeschooling my children, it is these fundamental things I learned from my mom, that I hope to pass on to my children. Thanks Mom!




Comments

Popular Posts