Nature Study

I never envisioned myself as the type of person who would go hiking, simultaneously wearing and nursing a baby and holding the hand of a toddler. I also never thought I would have 4 sons.

I've always believed that getting outside is one of the healthiest things you can do for children.

Unfortunately, I have learned that the best way to get your children outside, is to go there yourself.

I say, unfortunately, because it can be difficult to find time to get outside, as a big person.


It was difficult for us to make nature study a priority and it it always seemed to slip to the bottom of the to-do list, right beneath the laundry. As any mother of 5 children knows, the laundry is never done. Alas, there was never time for nature study.

To overcome this problem, I decided to join a nature study group. This group meets once a week. Having someone to meet has helped us get out. Making this a part of our curriculum has really been enriching. There is so much to learn about our loving creator from being surrounded by his creation. I have been surprised at how much I have enjoyed our weekly nature walks. Turns out they aren't just for kids. 

Comments

Popular Posts