Why Homeschool?

The choice to homeschool is an intensely personal one. I would no more try to tell you why you should homeschool than I would try to convince you that coffee is better than tea. They both have their place. (Although there is an obviously superior choice ;)) Instead, allow me to share with you why I homeschool.

Perhaps it's obvious that I think homeschooling is the best way to educate one's children, but I would't say its the Perrier of schooling options. Yes, it is top quality, and yes it can be expensive, but not in the way a private school is. If homeschooling were water, it would be water that you fetch yourself, fresh from the source at the top of a perilous mountain.  It is refreshing, pure, crisp, life-giving,  and satisfying, but if you aren't careful, it darn might cost you your life. It is invigorating because you work so hard to get it, sacrificing your comfort, your security, and your time to reach it.

Why would one would hike to the top of a mountain, risk eminent death, possible disembodiment or at the very least, extreme discomfort, in search of this exceptional water source? There are perfectly good hydration options available at the big box store.  It's not that bad, some say. There are even those who prefer the regulated consistency of the municipal source, My answer: It's all about the views.

For some, the height of the beauty in creation can be seen in a stunning sunset or a mountain vista. The place God's creative brilliance blows me away is in watching my children. When God made all of creation he said it was "good", It wasn't until he created man that he called his work, "very good". The little humans that live in my house were also made in God's image. I am compelled to agree with Him; He did a very good job. Getting to live life daily surrounded by  my unpredictable, energetic, whimsical little beings is the most rewarding (and trying) experience I could have ever asked for.


Comments

Popular Posts